Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day

I took this picture on the national mall in Washington DC last summer. This one was fom the World War II Memorial. It speaks what I am feeling today.

I hadn't been to DC since I was a child. The war memorials have been added in my absence. It is hard to speak when standing in one of them. While you stand in thought, old men with tears in thier eyes relive things people should never see.

I grew up an army brat. The threat of the loss of freedom was always on the top of our minds. The neighborhood I lived in had quite a few bomb shelters. I wonder what they are used for now? Canning? I hope they are full of beautiful peaches, pears, applesauce, pickles, and other pretty fruits and vegetables all lined up in gleaming glass jars just waiting to be opened by the family that worked hard to put them there..

Thank you to all who fought and all who died to keep us free.

No comments: